This past weekend was probably the best time I've had so far
here in Germany. From Friday to Sunday (today), all of the Exchange Students
here in District 1890 traveled up to Heide (about 1.5-2 hours north-west of
Hamburg with a car) for our first Orientation. We got to officially meet Jochen
Barckmann, Gesa Völkl, and Karin
Gutjahr, who are different Rotarians, and also a few Rotex people who are also
here for the Inbounds. I absolutely love meeting with Exchange Students, and
have actually been looking forward to this weekend since pretty early in my
Exchange. Never before meeting the 2 girls that I got roomed with (Rachel -
USA, and Georgia - Australia), we became extremely fast friends, and I already
miss being able to talk to and joke around with them.
Saturday morning continued like the night before with a
couple different Exchangers from Brasil playing guitar, and everybody singing
different songs from their Heimatland (home country). After a cool and windy
2.5 hour boat ride from Büsum, we arrived at Helgoland which is a small island
in the North Sea. There, we got to walk along the beach, take pictures of the
Grey-Seals, and then have lunch in a small restaurant, before riding to the
other island, Heligoland. Here, we got to walk around the small city, shop, and
take pictures before having to to finally head back to Heide.
Grey-Seals on the shore of Helgoland in the North Sea
The restaurant on the beach of the island
Crazy Exchangers<3
The second island, Heligoland
Overview of the island!
Later that night we got to do presentations for each country, which included singing, videos, and a lot of dancing! There are people from Brasil, Mexiko, Ecuador, Columbia, Paraguay, Chile, Argentina, Taiwan, Thailand, India, Japan, South Korea, Australia, America, Canada, Russia, and also Finland; for a total of 58 inbounds (which is a pretty big group). The Americans all said their state (theres about 9 of us), and then we decided on singing 'Sweet Caroline'. The rest of the night afterwards was so much fun being able to have a party with all of the Exchange Students, as well as Rotex, and have an amazing time together.
The way I'm explaining parts of what went on during the orientation could never do the weekend justice. People you never even knew 2 days ago suddenly become your best friends, and even though we know we'll see each other again soon, goodbyes here are never fun. I drove to and from the orientation with my YEO (Youth Exchange Officer; Herr Schulze), and I remember on the way back as we were leaving, feeling this huge pulling sadness in my stomach, and how I almost wanted to cry because I already missed them all so much. I couldn't help but think that this was just the beginning of what it's going to be like months from now, when we know we won't see some of our best friends for a long time. Talking to Exchange Students afterwards, all we could say was how much we wanted to go back, how we couldn't wait for the next meeting and orientation, and making plans together for the time inbetween. Exchange really does give you the most incredible friends in the world, and from all over the world. It gives you something unique between each other that I know you would just never find any place else. There really is nothing like Exchange friends.
D1890 Inbounds 2013-14!
P.S. Tuesday, (Sept. 24.) is officially two months for me here in Germany. You don't believe time really does fly until you begin watching it disappear. Being on the plane feels like yesterday, but the difference between where I was, and who I am from then to know in really incredible. And I honestly wouldn't trade that for anything.
No comments:
Post a Comment