Tuesday, October 15, 2013



So: I've been planning to write now for a pretty long time. So much has been going on and I've been so busy I kept pushing back a day and a day and before I knew it, it had been 3 weeks. Time seriously flies. Fast. In the beginning of Oktober on the 3rd, I left with 19 other Exchange students for a week long trip to Bayern!

This map ^ shows the German 'states,' and Bayern is the southern-most state

We didn't actually stay in München, but actually in a town called Garmisch Parten-kirchen, which was about a 2 hour train ride from the München Hauptbahnhof (howpt-bon-hoff a.k.a. the central train station), and this map ^ shows approximately where the town in located - extremely close to the Austrian boarder.

And this map is a basic overview of the town lined by the Alps

We stayed in a Jugendherberge (yoo-gund-hair-bear-geh a.k.a. a youth hostel) and right out the window you could see the view of the mountains. I roomed with all native Spanish speakers; my friends Berenice (Paraguay), Aranza (México), and Laura (Columbia). I can't think of a single day that went by that wasn't such a great, fun time, where I definitely made a lot of memories, but the trip in a whole definitely had its ups and downs. I know I became a lot closer with most of the people there on that trip, some of which I had never actually really spoken to before that. I know that we all had such a great time though, and I miss being there with all of them.

The highlights of the trip were: visiting Schloss Neuschwanstein (noi-shvan-shtine), München Stadt (city), Zugspitze (tsoog-shpit-tsuh), an Olympic SkiJump Stadium, and Oktoberfest!!


Schloss Neuschwanstein was beautiful. A long walk up to, and around it meant tired feet and legs, but definitely worth it. The castle (schloss) was so huge, had amazing details, and we were given audio-tours in our native languages (most of us), however no cameras were actually allowed inside. We got to go out on a balcony on the castle to take pictures of the incredible view looking down on the town with a lake, and the beautiful mountains surrounding it.
The view from the balcony on Schloss Neuschwanstein

View from the walkway up past the castle to a bridge

Beautiful Schloss Neuschwanstein
And the balcony we stood on is on the far left side of the castle

The view from standing on a bridge across from the castle

Another thing we got to do was go to Zugspitze (rail-train up most of one of the mountains, and then walk a little to a viewing spot near a restaurant). I absolutely loved it. It was incredible, and unreal, and breath-taking, and I know I could never describe it good enough for how it really was. Some of my Latino friends (as well as an American friend actually) got to see snow for the first time, and we also all got to go sledding down a small hill on the mountain!





Views from the lower viewing area of the Alps<3

After a while, we took a Seilbahn (tseyel-bon a.k.a. cable car) up to the highest point there, and I got to 'free climb' using just a guide wire attached to the mountain and go to the spot with a golden cross, which is really the marker for Zugspitze (2,962m). Absolutely incredible. I definitely did not want to leave. I stood and looked out at mountain-tops peaking out above the clouds, watched an entire mountain range disappear behind a curtain of fog in less than a minute, and reappear with millions of details like magic.




Just some more views from the top of Zugspitze.<3

And yes, I am crazy, and yes, I did climb up to where all those people are ^ if I fell, I seriously would have been hurt; I walked on the edges, it honestly was a little nerve wracking for a few seconds, but it was so amazing, and I'm so glad I got to see everything for myself - because there's no way that these pictures can do it anywhere near justice. 

And  a little view from the other side

Up next: München Stadt und Oktoberfest! I was really looking forward to both of these a lot, since I had heard how beautiful the city is, as well as everything that I had heard beforehand about Oktoberfest!

I thought that the city was absolutely beautiful. So much old architecture and incredible Kirchen (keer-khen a.k.a. churches, but more like or cathedrals), cobblestone streets, café's, shops and stores, restaurants, but really all the beautiful buildings of the city. We visited I believe 3 different Kirchen, climbed 306 steps (yes, we counted) for an amazing view over the foggy city, and got time to ourselves to also explore for a little. OKTOBERFEST! :D I think that all of the Exchange students were pretty excited for that. It went from Samstag (Zamz-tak a.k.a. Saturday) Sept. 21. bis Sonntag (Zone-tak a.k.a. Sunday) Okt. 6., and we went only for the last day. For those who wanted to and/or could, they rocked their Lederhosen (lay-deh-ho-zin) und Dirndl's (dern-delz) but unfortunately I didn't have one, so the rest of us wore traditional fishing hemps (type of shirt), and braids which is classic for Bavaria (more for older times). It was a huge festival with games, rides, Brauhauses (very large restaurant-type places with loud music), stands, and so much more.
Kirche 1

So ein schönes Platz : Such a beautiful place

306 Treppen Später... : 306 stairs later...

Kirche 2


And now for some Oktoberfest:

Workin it.
Maddy, Charlotte, Matheus, Laura, und Berenice


Brauhauses!


Very popular Lebkuchen, worn with the string around your neck, and of course, edible

Bayerish is almost completely different from Nordhochdeutsch (North High-German; what's mainly taught as German and what I learned, and the two dialects sometimes actually can't understand each other.)
Bayrish: I mog di
German: Ich mag dich / Ich liebe dich
Englisch: I love you

Aranza und ich!




I had such an amazing time in Bayern, and have gotten to meet with the Exchange Students quite a bit actually since then. And yesterday, for my birthday, I was surprised by about 12 of them who all came over, and we definitely had such a great time.  I love my crazy friends, am so grateful for everything I've been able to do and experience so far.

Also, today I sent in my first Quarterly Report... the time's going fast. Done counting days, even weeks, now I'm keeping track of months. It scares me that it's going so fast, but I remind myself almost daily to just relax, and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment